Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Buy More Bisquick

I like to use Bisquick for pancakes and waffles. Sometimes I get fancy and make waffles from scratch, but only for dinner, never breakfast. And sometimes I make Krisanne's recipe for Banana Pancakes from scratch. But most days, Bisquick is good enough for me. I like it much better than the "just add water" type pancake mixes.

A few years ago, my friend Laura introduced me to another Bisquick recipe that I use all the time now: Cornbread. It's really tasty. It has replaced my old trusty cornbread recipe which I got from my mom. Now I only revert to that one when I'm out of Bisquick.

Last week, I wanted to make some blueberry muffins from scratch. I found a recipe at allrecipes.com that sounded easy enough. I hoped that they would be as good as they were easy to make, and guess what: they were! They were quite delicious, actually, and moist, which I think is crucial to a good muffin.

So here's the recipe I found at allrecipes.com:

Sour Cream Blueberry Muffins
SUBMITTED BY: Tory Ross

INGREDIENTS
2 cups biscuit/baking mix
14 tablespoons sugar, divided
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries*
DIRECTIONS
In a bowl, combine the biscuit mix and 3/4 cup sugar. In another bowl, combine the eggs and sour cream; stir into the dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in blueberries. Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
FOOTNOTE
If using frozen blueberries, do not thaw before adding to batter.

Rebecca's note: Why use frozen while fresh ones are in season?! Go fresh!


When I made these last week, I added a couple Tablespoons of milk to the batter (because my sour cream was pretty firm, and it needed more liquid) and I also sprinkled brown sugar on top of the muffins, rather than white. I think that was a good substitution.

Today I added a mashed banana.

These are no-fail delicious. Trust me!

3 comments:

Gerb said...

Now added to my list of "MUST TRY" recipes... and another Bisquick goodie to odd to your list: Cheeseburger Pie! It's on the back of the box. My family loves it. There was NONE LEFT when I made it in dutch ovens for Girl's Camp. You must try it - easy to make, not many ingredients and your family LOVES you for it!

Sara said...

Sounds yummy! I can't wait to try out the recipe. Now I need to go buy some Bisquick.

Andrea said...

YUM! I am going to have to make those for sure. They look delicious!