Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Lazy Days


When school let out for the summer, we sat down as a family and created summer job lists. We do this every summer, and the list doesn't change much from year to year. There's the obvious: make your bed, be sure your room is clean, etc. There's the extra: This year, the extra job varies by the day, but it's usually something like fold & put away a basket of laundry, or do some dusting, or even, entertain Olivia for 30 minutes. And there must be some summer studying: reading is required, math is necessary, and sometimes a little writing assignment.
As I told the girls, none of their summer jobs are very difficult or lengthy. If they would get up in the morning and get going, and stay focused, they could still have most of the day to play.

It sounds so easy, in theory.

But in practice, it turns into this redundant routine: Sleep in late, lounge around in pj's, push sisters' buttons, push mother's buttons, ignore mom nagging the girls to get their work done. Eat dinner. Go to bed. Repeat.

So by halfway through the summer, I'm resigned to chill out as the task master. Frankly, I'm happy if they get dressed and get outside. It's better than having them inside, lazing around in their pajamas most of the day. My nagging about summer jobs is only half-hearted. Discipline is out the door.

Sometimes I think summer really should be more of a vacation. I just want to play.

Today was the perfect combination of great weather and laid back mom for Lauren to do this:









Lauren's happy, I'm happy...the whole darn neighborhood is happy!

Ca-Ching!

1 comment:

Brandi said...

I love your "routine", sounds like ours EXACTLY, except throw some wrestling in there (I do have 1 boy)! I too have grand aspirations of a slightly structured day to day summer. It isn't going real well here either. Maybe 1 day out of 5 goes how I planned. Oh well. They do say "Lazy Days of Summer" right? I think it is my mantra this year. :)