It's a rotten time to have a birthday. Prospective parents should really avoid each other in March/April, unless they want their prospective child to be tortured with a birthday that is constantly overshadowed by other festive busyness. The things you don't think about until it's too late....
Anyhow, Lauren was excited about her birthday, and thankfully, didn't begrudge the fact
that I didn't do anything to plan a party for her until yesterday. Luckily, with just 24 hours notice, all five of her friends we called were able to come to a party today. So Lauren and I spent the afternoon yesterday preparing and planning her party. We decided on a cooking party. We bought supplies and put together chef's hats for each guest, and cool cooking-themed goodie bags, and were all ready to make personalized placemats and mini pizzas and decorate cupcakes and play party games.
Anyhow, Lauren was excited about her birthday, and thankfully, didn't begrudge the fact
that I didn't do anything to plan a party for her until yesterday. Luckily, with just 24 hours notice, all five of her friends we called were able to come to a party today. So Lauren and I spent the afternoon yesterday preparing and planning her party. We decided on a cooking party. We bought supplies and put together chef's hats for each guest, and cool cooking-themed goodie bags, and were all ready to make personalized placemats and mini pizzas and decorate cupcakes and play party games.
The day after Christmas, we transformed our Christmas Tree into a Birthday Tree --an idea I read about in a magazine (the upside of time spent in waiting rooms at doctors' offices). It's hard to get a good picture of it, but trust me, it looks different than it did last week.Lauren woke up hungry and excited on the big day. But as I made the breakfast she requested, she started complaining about her tummy. As I was baking the cupcakes and Lauren was trying to eat her breakfast and convince me that she felt just fine, it splattered all over the kitchen floor: vomit. So Lauren turned six and got sick, all in the same unfortunate morning.
We had to call the party guests and uninvite them, less than 24 hours after they had first been notified of the party, and only 3 hours before they were supposed to arrive.
Lauren, however, has been a sweetheart through it all. She just looks at it as her birthday lasting more than one day, since she knows we'll reschedule the party as soon as she's well. And hopefully, the sickness will stop with her...
Lauren spent her sixth birthday sipping diet soda and watching movies. I spent it scrubbing every germy surface in the house, and wishing I had knocked on wood the other day when I breathed a sigh of relief and thought, "Phew, we made it through the holidays without anyone getting sick!"
We had to call the party guests and uninvite them, less than 24 hours after they had first been notified of the party, and only 3 hours before they were supposed to arrive.
Lauren, however, has been a sweetheart through it all. She just looks at it as her birthday lasting more than one day, since she knows we'll reschedule the party as soon as she's well. And hopefully, the sickness will stop with her...
Lauren spent her sixth birthday sipping diet soda and watching movies. I spent it scrubbing every germy surface in the house, and wishing I had knocked on wood the other day when I breathed a sigh of relief and thought, "Phew, we made it through the holidays without anyone getting sick!"
5 comments:
Congratualtions on a baby girl-you guys sure have cute ones!!!
I love reading your posts Rebecca! You are so funny!!
*The chef party is a cute idea.
I'm soooo sorry. That is the worst as far as I'm concerned. I hope she feels better SOON and no one else gets sick.
-Kaelyn
Please give Lulu a big hug of happy birthday from me. I tried calling you three times today...
Just wanted to say that you come up with my all time favorite blog titles. Do you hire yourself out?
"sick barfday" is almost as good as Pday Bday!
So proud of you fun mom you!!
We tried that avoiding each other in Mar-Apr thing... Still had Sean on 20th (10 days past due) and Josie on 23rd (sweet 16 this year). Josie LOVES her Dec bday - which many years we've celebrated closer to 27th! (or 20th) Thankfully Sean loves his too but that has required work and effort on our part at a WAY too busy time of year.
Bday hugs to Lauren!
"Calgon take me away" to Rebecca!
Post a Comment