Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Visibility

In one of my favorite college courses, I was introduced to the idea of "invisible work": The work we do that is only noticed by others when it doesn't get finished. An example might be dusting. No one really thinks about the fact that you've stayed caught up with the dusting; but if you neglect the dusting, people notice that.

Much of what I do on a daily basis might be considered "invisible work".

Just a few weeks ago, at the end of a frustrating day, everyone in my house (including myself)was noticing what still needed to be done.
The next day, I set out with renewed determination to get on top of things, and I felt like I had gained a lot of ground. At dinner (which I had worked to prepare, by the way), Doug asked me how my day was. My short answer was, "Busy," and he came back with, "Oh really? What did you do?"
I'll admit, that was a little bit disheartening. I know he didn't mean it the way I interpreted it, but it stung just a little bit.

Last week, however, I realized that there is one duty of mine that is not invisible. It doesn't get undone the minute I finish doing it, like so much of my work around the house does. And it is satisfying both to me and to my family.

It is shopping.

After a morning run to Target, my kitchen island gained the company of three barstools. As soon as the family entered the house, one by one, this is what I heard: "Sweet!" "Awesome! Thanks Mom!" "Hey, you got some stools. That looks good." Truly, each of them commented within 60 seconds of entering the house.

I find personal satisfaction in a clean bathroom or a mopped floor, but it also pains me to see my work undone, carelessly and with great haste, in those areas. I've got to tell you, I enjoy a little praise once in a while. And if it takes a bit of shopping to pry a few compliments out of my family...I guess that's just what I'll have to do!

6 comments:

Clark and Liesel said...

I totally know what you mean! Being a wife and mother is hard work and it is nice to be recognized for all the work we do. I think you are doing an awesome job! And yea for shopping, huh?! :) Target is always a fun place to find things!

Rebecca said...

And yea for comments, huh Liesel? Thank you! :) Writing a blog and knowing people read but never comment sometimes feels like my household work! Ha!

Kat said...

Amen sister! And thanks for helping me better understand my shopping addiction!

Suzanne said...

Well, you have my absolute appreciation! Your invisible work has made a great man and fantastic children. They may not appreciate a clean bathroom, etc., but it stayed dirty for along time they would notice that. It is like a boy blessing the sacrament. If he advances when he should in the priesthood not one notices much, but if he doesn't THEN it's a big deal.
Also, I think shopping wisely is a big and very important part of our modern life.

Andrea said...

Ahhh... the beauty of shopping. Instant gratification and improvement. How are you, anyway? I haven't talked to you for awhile!

Gerb said...

Feeling invisible = yes.

Invisible work = unfortunately, yes.

Shopping = YES (all caps!)

It can be such a struggle to do any housework when no one notices. Even more so when it is just expected and not appreciated. But I always find that in the end I feel better about a clean house than a messy one.

And if my house is clean, I don't feel too guilty about going shopping. ;)