When I was seventeen, my dad took a new job and moved our family from California to Pennsylvania. It was a big change, and it was the beginning of my senior year of high school. One year later, I went away to college, and then the following summer my family moved from Pennsylvania to Utah. So the last time I visited Pennsylvania was when Doug and I were engaged.
This picture is from July 1995. We missed the covered bridge (aka "kissing bridge") tour this time.
Since I only spent one year in PA, and fifteen years have since passed, there wasn't a whole lot that seemed very familiar to me. But when we drove past this lake as we approached our Bed & Breakfast on Saturday afternoon,
Since I only spent one year in PA, and fifteen years have since passed, there wasn't a whole lot that seemed very familiar to me. But when we drove past this lake as we approached our Bed & Breakfast on Saturday afternoon,
I immediately remembered picnicking there with friends, back in '93.
But I never knew "Speedwell Forge B&B" was right around the corner until I Googled B&B's in the area, a few weeks ago.
After staying there, I realize that it does feel like it's hidden from everyone and everything around it. I loved this place. We didn't spend much time there, but it could have very well been a destination in itself. It's situated on several acres of quiet, wooded land.
This was the key to our room,
which was the perfect mesh of antique, clean, and updated.
Speedwell Forge would be a great escape, if you just want to relax, read, and remove yourself from the cares of normal life.
But let's face it, this entire county could be described as an escape from "normal life." The Amish lifestyle is anything but modern or bustling. We visited a couple of touristy areas, but my favorite way to see the Amish country is just to drive around without a destination.
It was a bonus to drive around with Clark (Doug's brother), Liesel, and little Maybree in the back seat! They were flexible enough to make the quick day trip from Maryland to explore the Amish culture with us.
It wasn't the highest quality dining, but we agreed that we had to experience the family style local cuisine for dinner.
Honestly, I kind of liked the Chow Chow and the Hamloaf. Go figure.
At dusk we got to see the fireflies show off in a nearby corn field. It was a peaceful ending to the day, and such a contrast from the big city lights of the previous night.
No comments:
Post a Comment