Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Part 4 - The End

Sunday was a reflective day for me. We went to the church I attended 15 years ago (even though it meant we missed most of the yummy breakfast our hostess made), and without children the hour went by very quickly! Saw a few familiar faces.

Then it was time to check out of our B&B. Before we left the property, though, we had to check out the wolf sanctuary, just down the path from the mansion we slept in. As it turns out, some wolves are pretty and others, not so.

From there we drove past the home I lived in during my senior year of high school. It's such a pretty house, and a really nice neighborhood.

We drove by my old high school, too, which has been added onto and changed so much that I hardly recognized it.

Hail, Manheim Township High! (I used to know the Alma Mater, but that first line is all I can recall.) Of course, we can't mention my high school without Doug teasing me about the mascot: "I can't remember, were you the brown streaks or the blue darts?" It was a BLUESTREAK, actually, as in lightning. Yes, lame, I know.

On the contrary, this sandwich place was not lame at all.


Lunch there was as good as I remembered. All their sandwiches are named after different birds.

By the time we finished lunch ("finished lunch" meaning topped off our sandwich, soup, and salad with a nice big piece of chocolate cake with raspberry sauce) it was time to head to the airport. It was supposed to be about a ninety minute drive. "Betty", our faithful navigational assistant, got us there in 89.5, but it wasn't easy!
We had to laugh during this weekend trip at some of Betty's "short-cuts". After twisting and turning our way along country roads and through residential neighborhoods, Doug finally asked me if that was the way we used to get to the airport 15 years ago. Um, no! But anyway, she did get me to the airport eventually. Ahh, Betty! Confused with you, but lost without you!


During my flight, I was feeling anxious to get home to my children...but that's not to say I'm not already looking forward to my next weekend getaway (whenever it may be) with Doug.

Second (or subsequent) honeymoons: I highly recommend. :)

3 comments:

Jen said...

I totally remember the sandwich shop with all the fowl-named sandwiches ;) I distinctly remember going there with mom and ordering the flamingo croissant sandwich. Delish.
And...I love the self portrait of you and Doug. I better get better lookin' with time like you two!

Brandi said...

I loved reading about your trip. Sounds so fun. It's so refreshing to get away with just your husband every now an then hu? My oldest and I are planning a trip to NY for her b-day next year. You'll have to give me some pointers. I've never been.

Jill said...

A fun report, brings back a few memories of Pennsylvania! Thanks for sharing!