Saturday, August 8, 2009

Looking Back

Feeling nostalgic tonight.

For seven months now, people I meet here have been asking me if I miss my previous home, and (don't hate me for saying this, WA friends...) I've had to say no! I didn't miss it. Of course, I would explain, I miss people, but I wasn't missing that place.

But tonight, with Google maps, I find myself going back to the Northwest, and kind of wishing I could turn back time a year or so. It escaped me too quickly.

Maybe this sentimental mood was brought on by coming home from a little vacation today, and being greeted by cool temperatures and cloudy skies, and walking into a house that still feels (and even smells) somewhat unfamiliar.

I couldn't believe it when the thermometer told me it was only in the 70s outside. On an August afternoon?! Couldn't be!

When we pulled into the driveway, and I hopped out of the car, anxious to stretch my legs, I was unprepared to feel a chill in the air. My thoughts went something like this:
"Oh no! It's so cold! I had almost forgotten what cold weather feels like. I'm not ready for summer to end!... How can summer be over already? Am I ready for my kids to start a new school year? Our daily schedule is going to get so busy, with school, and homework, and soccer practices, and.... I can't believe it's going to be fall soon. I can't believe how fast my kids are growing up! Olivia is getting so big. Her first year is such a blur! Time is passing me by so fast!..."

I don't like the cold. Isn't it crazy that a cold afternoon sends me into a mental cycle that has me wishing to go back to a cold place?!

5 comments:

Amy said...

Where did you go on vacation to?
I always enjoy your nastolgic posts.

simplysarah said...

I don't like the cold either. And I'm pretty sure Mom doesn't either. Maybe it's a Davies girl thing?

Gerb said...

You know what, Rebecca? I am your opposite when it comes to this. I go outside in the summer only when needed and every time I MELT. My face gets all red and I can't cool myself down fast enough. The sun is much too hot for me. I LOVE cool, breezy days and wearing sweaters and wool socks.

I just find it interesting that you are one of my favorite people on the planet and we are polar opposites when it comes to all of this. I guess if we were all the same life would be pretty boring, eh? :)

Anonymous said...

I HATE the cold, and the last few days have made me mad - totally unfair to throw cold into the summer. We get enough of it the other months. I hope you trip was fun! -Kaelyn

Darla Davies said...

Yep! Pretty sure it's a "Davies girl thing" (though I think it came from Grandma James)! After waiting for Dad to go walking with me last evening (he was busy working on the computer and waiting for a phone call), I finally started out myself just after sunset. It was very cool! (Guess that helped me to walk faster.) After a cool, rainy June, I still have not been satiated with summer. Glad to hear that we'll be in the 90's again later this week. I LOVE SUMMER! (and I'm not ready to let go!!).