Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I never imagined...

...that fourteen years later




we'd have five daughters and zero sons.


That we'd be living in Utah.


I certainly never imagined we'd own a dog! (Or that I would feel the tiniest bit fond of it.)


I'm sure I never imagined that we'd be spending our fourteenth wedding anniversary mostly apart, pushing through the daily grind. Spending the evening running girls to four separate Back-To-School functions, and soccer practices, and teaching nearly a dozen Webelos about Nature.


Did I imagine B.L.T.'s on the menu for a romantic fourteenth anniversary dinner?




When I decided to marry Doug, it sort of surprised me to realize that I didn't need a big, extraordinary, flash-of-lightning style revelation to convince me that he was the one for me. I just felt comfortable with him and confident about him from the very beginning. Consistently comfortable. That's us.




So when our fourteenth anniversary comes along on a busy Tuesday, I don't need a spectacular, extraordinary night on the town to mark the occasion. I've had hundreds of dates with this guy, weekly (if not more often), for the past fourteen years of marriage. I'll take steady over spectacular, for sure.



Well, ok, I do like spectacular sometimes. I'm pretty stoked about our "anniversary trip" to NYC, coming up soon! :)



HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO US!

4 comments:

simplysarah said...

And as we all know, steady IS spectacular. Congrats! I thought of you two today.

Andrea said...

Happy Anniversary! NYC sounds pretty spectacular to me! Congratulations!

Laura Hyde said...

Who would have thought that the boy who my cousin spent the night with after a first date would be such a steady guy in her life. Such a questionable beginning to such a good and unquestionable relationship. :) Congrats! 14!!!!! Wow!

Rebecca said...

Cousin Laura,

Don't forget it was YOU who gave me permission to spend the night at his house!

You're still mad about the dog's name, aren't you...