Friday, September 14, 2007

What's for Lunch?

Today I made black bean dip. I've been snacking on it with pita chips, but I think I'm going to make a quesadilla and dip that, and officially call it "lunch". I probably should have soup, because it might make my throat feel better. I have an annoying itchy/sore throat, which came on yesterday. Emily started hers a day before me, and she has stayed home from school for two days now. And it's only the second week of school. This is not a good beginning.

Anywho....here's my yummy black bean dip recipe. (Actually, it's not mine. Originally, I got it from Family Fun.) You should make some. Your tastebuds will thank you, even if your throat complains.

BLACK BEAN DIP
1 15.5-oz. can black beans
1/3 cup medium-hot salsa, plus 1 tbsp. for garnish
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, plus extra for garnish (optional)
4 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 small garlic clove, minced

To make the dip, drain and rinse the black beans, setting aside 1 tablespoon for garnish. Combine the black beans, salsa, cilantro leaves, lemon juice and garlic in a food processor. Blend until smooth. Garnish with the black beans and, if you like, cilantro leaves or salsa. Makes 1 1/4 cups and serves 4 to 6.

4 comments:

simplysarah said...

Try spreading this on a tostada, sprinkling it with cotija cheese, and possibly some super-thinly-sliced onions. And you've got a tasty Guatemalan snack that I ate all the time on my mission...then you could invite me over, and we could share the dip and the nostalgia...

Anonymous said...

I got this recipe from you a while ago and I made it on Friday. I am glad you share the yummy things you find.-Kaelyn

Anonymous said...

How's the throat? Don't you just hate sore throats?! They're the worst (well, almost)! I'm off to meet Donna at the SLC airport today and then to drive to St. George to party with Cathy for a couple of days (we're celebrating our birthdays). We'll hope Cathy can stay as Jack is still in CA helping Jenny and Mark. Along with Mark's other physical challenges, he almost drowned on Labor Day! We are sooooo blessed!! Love you and hope you and all the Larsons are feeling better! Mom

Gerb said...

I just today realized our post titles are the same! In case you think I am a copy-cat, just think that we are like-minded individuals.