Guess what today's YW lesson was about...Ok, you might not guess, and then I'll have people leaving comments wanting to know the answer, so I'll just go ahead and tell you. I had to teach a group of Beehives about the Sacred Powers of Procreation. Yikes. That was probably the most nerve-wracking lesson I've ever had to prepare. I used to think (and actually, I still do) that teaching Gospel Doctrine would be seriously intimidating, because I don't feel like I know enough to teach those lessons. Well, this lesson wasn't difficult for that reason (I'm pretty sure I know more than all the Beehives about today's subject), but it was awkward for other reasons. a) they are Beehives, and they are silly about just about any topic you could think of...especially this one!
b) I felt like I needed their parents to sign consent forms first
c) I really hope that this was not the first talk on the subject for any of the fresh 12-year-olds!
d) I can just imagine the conversation those families had on the drive home from church today.
Mom: So, honey, how was YW today? What did you guys talk about?
Beehive: Sex.
Mom: WHAT?!?!
So, I've been building up my anxiety over the last couple days, for the above reasons. And then, to make it even worse, I ended up with only FIVE MINUTES, literally, to teach the lesson. That's exactly enough time for me to get their attention, delve into the topic, solicit a bunch of red faces and eye rolls and a couple of giggles, and then say "Amen".
Good thing we have Stake Conference next week. Maybe with two weeks before I have to teach them again, we will all have gotten over today's awkwardness.
4 comments:
Hey, I thought I kept you out of those classes at school. Where did you learn everything??!! Maybe the RS sisters had the same lesson we did today which was on Chastity. Then the mothers and daughters could have compared notes. Seriously, I'm certain that you did great - as you always do! You're terrific!! Love, Mom
That's why we had the Bishop teach that lesson last week. Asking went something like this:
Me: Bro. Waddell, could you teach the combined YW lesson next Sunday, as the bishopric member over YW? (hand him a copy of the lesson)
Bro W: Sure...(looks at the lesson title)...um, are you sure you want me to?
Me: Definitely. You'll do a great job.
(Change of scene; Sunday at YW)
Bishop: You may wonder why I'm here. Bro. Black is out of town, and Bro. Waddell passed this lesson on to me. No one was really excited about having to teach it. Can anyone guess what it's about?
one YW: Chastity?
Bishop: Close. The power of Procreation.
(all YW remain silent throughout remainder of lesson)
Did you give the same lesson for FHE last night at home?
I found you through Gerb, and I had to comment. I taught that lesson too--on the same day. (My husband had to teach the Chastity lesson in EQ.) I teach the MiaMaids, so they aren't quite as naive as the Beehives, but I'm the type of person who tends to milk the shock value out of lessons like this. It's not a subject we can tiptoe around--they hear/see enough stuff from the world. But it's also not the most comfortable lesson to teach. (That sounded awfully preachy, didn't it? I'm not really that way...)
My favorite part of the whole lesson? Going through that list of terms at the end.... (yikes).
Our bishop would have been red-faced through the entire lesson. I'm not sure I could have done that to him.
Post a Comment