Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Bloody Gums

Why is it that going to the dentist fills me with more dread, not less, the older I get?

When I was a kid, I think I had at least 9 cavities in my baby teeth. Even though I eventually lost all those, my mouth is still full of lots of silver (and some white) fillings. What I'm trying to say is, in my youth, I was very familiar with Novocaine and a drill in the hands of my very gentle dentist, Dr. John. Even with all that familiarity, I don't recall any fear or pain....until I was about seventeen.

That's the age I was when I'm pretty sure I hit full immunity to Novocaine, and dental visits began to hurt, and thus, fill me with dread. At the age of eighteen I had my wisdom teeth removed, and thank goodness Dr. Adams was very liberal with his administration of the laughing gas. I only remember coming to once, as he was tugging to extract a giant tooth, and he saw my eyelids flutter and told the assistant to crank up the juice...and then I was out again.

I still fear cavities and fillings, but I haven't had to deal with that fear much as an adult. Did I start brushing more vigorously and effectively? Perhaps. But now they tell me that I'm brushing too well, and it's giving me some gum issues. Which brings me to the point of my title. I had a dental exam and cleaning today, and it was incredibly painful and bloody. Might I mention that this appointment was at 6:00 am, I had skipped breakfast, and my stomach complained about the fact that bloody saliva mixed with a few grains of tooth polish was the first thing it got to digest for the day.

Question: If my gum tenderness is, as they say, caused by aggressive brushing, then how could it solve anything to hack at my gum line every six months with a small ice pick? Doesn't it make sense that, because of the way they scrape at my poor teeth in the dentist's chair, I'm inclined to believe that I must not be brushing well enough, and go home and redouble my efforts?! Who's confused here, me or them?

I had to eat soft foods today. My teeth are very tender. And flossing tonight was terrifying.

Clark, is this normal? Is this the type of torture they teach you in dental school? Breanne, is there a compassionate dental hygienist out there? Especially at 6:00 am, for crying out loud!

1 comment:

simplysarah said...

A) Um, what were you doing at the dentist at SIX AM???

B) I think the solution is an obvious one. STOP GOING TO THE DENTIST. The whole "trust me, there are wee little germs eating away at your teeth that you just can't hear or see"-thing is just another money plot anyway.

Who do they think we are???