Monday, June 15, 2009

It's not you, it's me.

During the five years we lived in the rainy Northwest, locals often told me how "unusual" the weather was. They'd say things like, "I'm never bothered by the [cold/gray/wet], but this year it's worse than normal."

Whenever I'd leave the state, I'd be excited for a change in the weather, but usually, I'd be disappointed. Every time we came to Utah for Spring Break, it would rain or snow, while those who stayed in the Northwest would report that I'd missed a week of beautiful weather there! Even when we went on our Caribbean cruise, our biggest excursions got rained out. In the Caribbean!!!

Now that we're back in the desert, and I'm smugly anticipating a warm spring and hot, dry summer...

Here are today's weather reports.

Seattle:
While not quite unheard of, we are nearing "rarely heard of" territory with the current dry streak. Monday will be the 27th day in a row in which no measurable rain has been recorded at Sea-Tac Airport. We are nearing the record for longest dry streak spanning May into June. If we don't get rain Wednesday, the streak could last well into the 30s as we return to a dry but pleasant pattern of morning clouds then afternoon sunshine, with highs in the 70s.Enjoy the week!
Paul Deanno, komo4 news


Salt Lake:
We've had rain just about every day this month-- and it looks like we are in for more. Partly cloudy early in the day- but with so much moisture in the air- and a low pressure area to our north- we should see some more showers this afternoon. Another chance of rain Wednesday and Thursday. -Grant Weyman, Live 5 Weather


I know it. It's me. Expect the unexpected.

5 comments:

Gerb said...

Then thank you SO MUCH from the bottom of my heart for bringing this AWESOME weather here to me! I am LOVING it!!

Darla Davies said...

Seattle weather or not ---- I LOVE HAVING YOU HERE!!

Aleesha Burke said...

Hahaha... pretty funny. Suppose you have something to learn from the rain and you just haven't gotten it yet. ;)

Well I escaped the rain in Utah and came to the delightful sunny weather in Seattle. It is really beautiful. Except everyone's grass is yellow, hmmm. May be they could use a bit of rain to green things back up. It's kind of weird being here without you still here.

Angela said...

Thank you Rebecca! It has been the most beautiful month. Hardly a drop of rain or clouds since Mother's Day...until today. We have friends coming from CA on Saturday and we're sure the rain will return just for them.

Emily Larson said...

Well, just shows Washington misses us!