A certain young member of our family has a bad habit of using a certain "naughty" word. She knows that this word is forbidden in our household, but nevertheless, she uses it habitually, in moments of anger or frustration.
So, for the past few weeks, I've been implementing a behavior modification technique passed down from my own mother. Maybe some of you have experienced this technique. It's called Soap-In-the-Mouth.
I distinctly recall the taste of Irish Spring, although no one has forced it into my mouth for at least 20 years.
Merciful me. For my child, I use apple-scented hand soap.
What's your take on the S.I.M. method? Discuss.
10 comments:
I also remember the taste of Irish Spring...
but I have no idea what word was the dinner to my soapy dessert. Can't remember. Probably use it regularly now. ;)
Sarah-
Ditto.
But I do think the threat was truly menacing to me as a child. And unfortunately for my child, I think this has been a better tool for discouraging her sisters from using this word than it has been for eliminating it from her own vocab!
I hear Tabasco is more effective. I think I got S.I.M. treatment one time that I remember and it was only because someone told my mom I had said something. I probably should have had my HANDS washed with soap for some of the ASL words I used, though...
Wait. I should be washing my hands with soap already, huh? My bad.
This is an awesome train of thought... I may have to blog about it. Thanks!
Can't feel too badly about using a technique that our previous prophet reported was used on him. Right? Besides, look how good you (and Sarah) turned out!! :)
Can't really comment on the propriety of the SIM method without knowing what THE WORD is (???).
We don't use soap because our kids seem to like it.(we must be using good tasting soap too) so now we use tabasco sauce. works great for some of them... not so good for the ones who like to put it on their taco's!
How are you? I hope the move is good. We will be in provo for spring break. we would love to see you. we need to talk!
Laura
Well, Allen, if you must know, the word is not a cuss word. But I think I'd rather hear a true swear word than have her call her sisters (or me) this "S" word.
Does that help?
Rebecca,
We use black pepper. We call these words 'pepper words'. AFter a fair warning I dip my finger in pepper and put in on their tongue. I've never had to do it more than once on a kid. They then understand pepper words! Good luck! Chari
It was so good to see you and your lovely family. Thanks for the food, entertainment and friendship!
Mom is cute. I hope she knows we're glad she washed our mouths out with soap. It's a nostalgia thing, really. :)
Hmm...Surly? Sassy? Sexy? Or could it be that s-word that sounds similar to cupid?
Post a Comment