Monday, June 30, 2008

Sharing

It may not be a well-known fact among my brothers-in-law, who grew up in a house full of boys, but this is true: one of the nicest things about having a sister (or a few) is that you can share clothes. For example, whenever I couldn't find anything fitting to wear in my own closet, my sister (who was 2 years younger than me, but everyone thought she was the older sister, and that bugged me, and adults would tell me that someday I'd be glad to look like the younger sister, but I'm still waiting for that to be true) had a closet right next door that came in very handy during the high school years. Even as adults, we have shared our maternity wardrobes. It's a great way to get around wearing the same 2 outfits for three straight months, when it seems ridiculous to buy items you know (hope?) you'll only wear temporarily. (Let's not talk about the fact that I can still wear half my maternity wardrobe 2 months post-baby...The important thing is, I don't.)





But I digress...





The point is, brothers (who needs 'em?) do not share clothes with their sisters. I know this from personal experience: namely, the one time I tried to borrow my brother's shirt (it was flowered!), and he made me pay him ten bucks to wear it to church. (Ok, so possibly I was a sucker, but for sure, he was not a sharer. And don't you think that he should have paid me to take that thing out of his closet?! It was a floral print, remember?!)





Anyway, having 5 daughters, there has been plenty of sharing of the clothes in this household, and I'm positive there will be much more sharing in the next decade. But we hit a new level of clothes-sharing today. Katelyn can now wear my clothes. Ok, so today wasn't the first time. I have on occasion handed down a jacket or a t-shirt to Katelyn. But today, she is borrowing a swim suit from me. Yes, indeed, that is a new level.





Nevermind wanting to look like Jill's older sister. Now I have a new concern: Do I look old enough to be this girl's mother?


5 comments:

olivia said...

WOW WOW WOW. How did Katelyn grow so fast? Sharing swim suits: that's amazing. I also just wanted to comment on one of your Hannah moments: they're great, but I especially enjoyed "I was GOING to be sorry!"... Hope all is well with Larsons -- especially the new Olivia! P.S. - I'm in the thick of the stuffing/stambing/addressing - so expect a big green envelope in a week or two!

Gerb said...

I know what you mean. Elle borrowed my swimsuit a month ago and it looked much better on her than it does on me. She also borrows my shirts & shoes. However, I don't borrow her stuff for fear she'll stop wearing it if I think it's cool.

Darla Davies said...

I grew up in the era of advertisements (Dove soap if I remember right) that showed a mother and a daughter and suggested that the reader try to guess which was which (mother/daughter). All I know is that you are both beautiful and I love you both so very much!

Love, Mom/Grandma D.

Jill said...

Yes, I think I do look older than you, if not before, certainly now that this blessed Philippine sun is turning my face into a mess of wrinkles and age spots! If there was anytime in my life when I didn't want so much sun ... oh well! Your hair looks very cute, by the way. And I'll be bringing the cutest maternity clothes yet home with me if you're interested (are you?). I must say I do like the clothes here, not to mention the price tags! Katelyn looks so grown up! What a beauty!

Rebecca said...

Jill,

I'll be interested in your cute maternity clothes on your cute self, that's all!