Monday, March 10, 2008

Obsessing

There are two things my mind dwells on lately: Spring, and Birthing this Baby. I am extremely excited, as always, for Spring to be here. I can tell it's on its way. On Saturday, Katelyn and I spent a while outside, picking weeds and mowing the lawn. (It was Katelyn's first mowing job, and I think she liked it. It's interesting how much one can improve their lawn mowing skills in just the small distance from one end of our yard to the other!)

I am also very anxious for this baby's birth, and I do mean "anxious" in more than one sense of the word. Anxious-excited, because I can't wait to meet this little person, and I will be very happy to make my way back to a non-pregnant body. (Back pain, anyone?) But also, anxious-worried, because I'm afraid by the way things feel right now that this baby will be another giant like Hannah, and that means C-section. That terrifies me. It didn't scare me when my medical professionals suggested the idea at first, because I thought it would never happen. But the bigger I get, and the bigger this baby gets, the more real the possibility seems.

Why is it that when I'm not pregnant, I can eat more and gain less? I feel like I can never satisfy my hunger because my stomach is too squished now, and I have to stop eating after half as many bites as I would like to eat. And yet, apparently every bite I take settles promptly and securely onto my mid-section, there to stay and make me feel guilty and confused about my constant cravings for food. We went to dinner with 3 other couples last weekend, really delicious Thai food, and I had to stop eating long before everyone else, and just sit there and watch them enjoy the hot food, and ponder how unfair it was that I couldn't eat like them.

Anyhow, there's no good outcome here. Either the baby is normal size and all this weight is just mine to deal with after she's born, or the baby is growing as big as I'm afraid she is, and I'll end up with a surgical birth. I have an ultrasound scheduled this week, and I'll be hoping for some sort of happy news to come out of it. Fingers crossed...

Here's some photographic evidence of my second obsession, as seen through the eyes of Hannah:



The Belly




My calendar: Hannah and I both keep notes on this!


A current favorite bedtime story

2 comments:

Gerb said...

Oh, I hear you, friend! I have the same pregnancy-weight-gain problem. Not pregnant, I can eat a dozen donuts and a gallon of ice cream daily and still maintain my girlish figure. Pregnant, every bite comes back to haunt me on the doctor's scale. I asked, "Should I be concerned about the weight gain?" and you know what he said? "You gain it then you lose it. I think you're fine."

I love that man.

But I don't love my ever-growing midsection or the frumpyness I'm feeling.

I'm gonna go eat a Snickers.

ablackman said...

Not to discount your concerns and feelings, but there is little doubt in my mind that you and Gerb will be looking trim and fit in a few short months and have cute babies that will seem to have magically appeared. You women are amazing!