Friday, March 14, 2008

Too Big

Baby is too big. Went to the doctor yesterday. Ultrasound shows that the placenta has migrated out of the danger zone (good news) and baby is measuring two weeks bigger than she should be (not really good news). Estimated weight=5pounds1ounce. Simple math equation: If baby gains 1/2 pound per week until due date, she would match Hannah's birth weight of 9 pounds +. That's not good news. So...we'll have another ultrasound scan in a month, and see if everything is still following this unfortunate curve. In the meantime, I'm not supposed to worry about it. HA!

Katelyn is getting too big, too. She and I went to the middle school for an Open House on Monday night. Weird. She's going to be in the company of 8th graders this fall! Yikes! And yesterday she came home from school and informed me that in her classroom (4th and 5th graders, mind you!) they have been reading Tom Sawyer, and somehow that lead to an hour-long discussion about risky teen behaviors that she and her classmates have heard of (she mentioned examples such as "the choking game" and jumping off of bridges into water below). That disturbs me a bit--I'm very curious about how the teacher managed that dialogue. Of course, Katelyn and I got to continue the discussion and put our own perspective on things last night, so I'm glad she would mention such things to me.

Finally, I think I'm getting too big (I mean old) for my own ideas of entertainment. Yesterday I was invited to have lunch with some friends. We got take-out from Olive Garden--soup and salad and breadsticks, very mature, right? And after eating we went downstairs to this friend's basement and played Rock Band, while the little people (like Hannah and Lauren) played with toys...when they weren't borrowing the microphone and singing, or dancing to our crazy music. Do moms eating Olive Garden and playing Rock Band seem oxymoronoic (I think I just made up that word) to you?!

1 comment:

Gerb said...

5 lbs, 1 oz = happy, well-fed baby. I like the fat babies, personally. I'm always afraid the skinny ones might break.

Can I be oxymoronic, too?