Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Unforgettable Foods

I just ate lunch, so I shouldn't still be obsessing about food right now, but I am. Just for your random information, here's what's on my mind: Foods I love but must live without (most of the time), because I can't make or buy them where I live.

  • Chocolate-Covered Juju Hearts A seasonal treat that I discovered back in Provo. Thank goodness my mom never forgets to feed my craving for these little goodies each Valentine's Day! She brought some with her last month, and I took a baggie full with me on my cruise and enjoyed their sugary sweetness in the Carribbean! "Yes, I would eat them here or there...Say, I would eat them anywhere!"
  • Cafe Rio: pork burrito, chicken tortilla soup, and salad, not to mention their desserts... The homemade copycat recipes I've tried are really good, but still, nothing compares to the real deal. Yum, yum, yummy. And yes, I can eat everything on that list in one sitting (with Doug's help).
  • Thrifty Chocolate Malted Krunch Ice Cream This one goes back to when I was a kid and could whine my mom into buying me a cylindrical cone practically every time we went to the drugstore.
  • Grandma James' homemade donuts This is probably the only one that I will never taste again (because it cannot be reproduced by anyone but Grandma, even though my brave uncles try their best each Halloween), but the memory is so unforgettable, it will satisfy me forever. When I was pregnant with Katelyn and had a restricted diet, the only time I cheated was to eat one of Grandma's fresh donuts. You don't refuse one of those puppies. You just don't.

When you realize how much I think about food, it's no surprise that I'm feeling large already, with three more months of belly-expansion still to come before this baby is due. I have to take a glucose tolerance test next week, and I almost wish I would fail the test, just to have a solid reason to be more careful about what I eat. I can set goals for myself (and I do), but without that external motivation, it's really easy to go to the grocery store (as I did this morning) and throw into the cart, say, a box of powdered mini donuts, a box of fruit snacks (for Hannah, mostly), and some peppermint ice cream (before it, too, joins my list of unaccessibles).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just reading your blog makes me want to go to Cafe Rio right now!
-Kaelyn

Anonymous said...

You are making me hungry!!
Mom L.

Gerb said...

Oh, the loves we share! I also share your feelings on the glucose tolerance test. I took mine last week and haven't heard anything, so I guess no news is good news, right? Which also means it was OK to eat a big bowl of Beaver Tracks ice cream tonight...

P.S. Who comes up with these names for ice cream? I mean, really - Beaver Tracks?

simplysarah said...

All I can say is, man. You have really good taste in food.

Anonymous said...

Hope you received the second installment of chocolate covered ju ju hearts. Maybe you got your love of food (and goodies) from your mom. Though I have no such excuse as pregnancy, I'm struggling with control right now! Dad didn't help with his feteing (spelling?!) me so abundantly for Valentines! (roses one day, a box of Cavanaughs chocolates the next, and dinner at The Roof last night) Additionally, I've made (and eaten) Valentine cookies several times over the past 2 weeks. And yesterday, in an attempt to do something nice for Dad for Valentines Day, I made him a batch of cinnamon rolls! HELP!!

Love, Mom