There comes a time when every precious, innocent little toddler grows up, and hurts her mother's heart by saying something not so sweet, such as "No!" or "I don't like you!" or even "You're not the boss!"
Sadly, I have already heard all of this and more from my sweet littlest one. Having four older sisters accelerated the rate at which she acquired naughty habits like that. But tonight she really did break my heart with this conversation:
"Daddy has an owie....(he had a dermatologist appoitment yesterday, and it involved a couple of stitches). She pulled back her shirt to show me where Daddy's owie is. Then it reminded her of something. She said, "I got a shot. When I was born, I got a shot.... And my mom and dad died."
I smiled and played along with her make-believe game. "Oh no! Your mom and dad died?"
And then with a straight face, she looked at me and said, "You killed them."
Ok, this game was not funny anymore. How could my two-year-old come up with such ideas! Too many Disney princess movies?!
I smiled at her again and said in my own true voice, "I'm your real mommy, and I love you!"
And she said, "I love you too."
.............
"But where's my other mom?"
1 comment:
Kids truly can say things that just surprise you. One of my daughters had a phase where she would say she wanted to go home. I would say we are at home and so would say no my real home. It was hard not to read something into it.
Post a Comment