Thursday, February 18, 2010

Isn't It Romantic?


On V-Day, Doug and I woke up at 4 a.m., left paradise on a crowded plane, and came back to winterland just in time to get everyone ready for church! The day was definitely lacking romance.

Leading up to the big day, I scrambled to help my kids finish their valentines by Friday, and throw together a fancy card container for Lauren on Thursday night (*Why can't they do what I did in elementary school? My teachers always had us weave pink and red construction paper heart baskets to carry our valentines. Now it's turned into a big competition for homemade Valentine boxes, while the valentines themselves are storebought and impersonal.), when they should have been in bed and I should have been at my book group, and then I had to tidy the house and pack my bags to leave Friday morning for San Diego. Meanwhile, Doug was already there.

Amid all that busyness, I did manage to leave a little Valentine necklace for each of my girls to wear, by their pillows, before I left. A token, at least. But there was no fondue, no heart-shaped black forest cake, no candlelit table.


However, Doug and I got to spend the weekend in San Diego to celebrate something pretty big (and romantic): the last of his brothers got married! That's number nine. Doug is number three, and I've been to every wedding except for one--his oldest brother--who got married before I met Doug.


Mark looked like this when I first joined the family:



And now he's a married man!


I love Doug's family, and it was worth "skipping" Valentine's Day to spend the weekend with them.


I'll tell you what's romantic, though.


Weekly dates with my man.
Flowers when it's not a special occasion.
Texting when we're apart.
Being married to a true partner, and being reminded of how glad I am to be married to him, on a weekend that doesn't seem to be so romantic.

3 comments:

Gerb said...

You old softie.

I completely agree on the box-making competitions. Whenever I am asked to help with a class valentine's party I always say, "I will be in charge of helping them make card-holders." Because kids like me back in the day would have been lucky (and embarrassed) to bring a brown paper sack to school for the competition.

Kara said...

Well said, Rebecca. Over the past few weeks I have truly gained an appreciation for the little everyday things that add romance to my life.

Clark and Liesel said...

That is crazy Mark was so young when you guys got married! Time sure does fly. I totally remember making the heart shaped woven basket things too! I can only imagine how crazy things will be in school when Maybree is old enough to go to school. What happened to simplicity??