Sadly, I'm not the kind of mom who loves to get down on the floor and play imaginary games with my kids. Truthfully, I prefer to use their playtime to get my own list of things done, without them underfoot. And that list may include my work, as well as my own version of "play." On the occasion that my kids do convince me to play with them, I usually end up organizing and cleaning up the toys that they're not using. Don't get me wrong--it's not that I'm a compulsive cleaner. It's just that I'd rather clean up than use my imagination and just play! But there are lots of things I'd rather do than clean!
Yesterday, during Olivia's naptime, I settled myself on the couch with a book. That left Hannah alone to entertain herself. She wanted me to play with her, but I wanted to get my book read before I meet with my book group on Thursday. So I came up with a solution that was enjoyable for both of us: I let Hannah do my hair and makeup. The process included fingernail polish. I'm now sporting a manicure only a five-year-old could admire. Hot pink on my right hand, and sparkly peach on my left.
This past weekend, I did engage in a youthful activity with my girls. We decided to color and glitter these cute, free, printable Valentines. Check them out! I'm not even going to attach candy or pencils to them. This year, my girls are truly giving a "gift of the heart" to their classmates--a one-of-a-kind, personalized Valentine.
*Thanks to Brittany for sharing. You should see her other artwork. I really like her little birdie paintings. And sometimes she offers cute Visiting Teaching printable messages.
3 comments:
Sounds fun! Where's the pictures of the completed makeover? I can totally relate though. It is hard for me to just play, too.
I too am so much a mom just like that. Although, I don't know if I would have let me daughter paint my nails. Maybe when she is a little older. I love the valentine idea! I will have to keep it in mind for next year. This year we had fun using old cards and supplies my grandmother gave us that she used when she was little and with her children.
Ouch! Sounds too much like the mother that you grew up with --- though I must admit that I wouldn't even have let you do my hair and fingernails.
Post a Comment