When my mom sent me this picture this morning, I looked at it and thought about all the stories it could tell.
My mother is a timeless beauty. And I love her smile. I have a striped shirt in my dresser which is the same cut as my mom's striped shirt in this photo.
I was her second baby, and had more baby hair than any of my siblings, even though in this picture I look pretty bald. My five babies got their heads full of hair from their father.
I was not necessarily my mom's chubbiest baby. But I was a chubbier baby than any of my babies ever were.
Look at how my hand is holding onto my mother's arm. Don't you love the way babies cling? I do.
This picture was taken on my paternal grandparents' front porch. I spent time at their house every summer, and that front porch was probably my favorite part of their home. Looking at this picture makes me think of swinging with my Grandma after dinner on hot summer evenings, sometimes licking a dripping popsicle. It makes me remember my grandma's laugh. I loved that porch swing. It is what inspired me to buy one for the balcony of our second-floor apartment when Doug and I were poor young married students. I loved porch swings that much.
Our apartment balcony was shaded by big leafy trees, just like the trees you can see in the background of this picture (and reflected in the window--did you notice that?), that shaded my grandparents' driveway.
Our apartment balcony was shaded by big leafy trees, just like the trees you can see in the background of this picture (and reflected in the window--did you notice that?), that shaded my grandparents' driveway.
See that red truck? In my memory, it is attached to my Grandpa. He walked around the yard wearing thin cotton plaid shirts with pearly buttons, a cowboy hat, boots, and big belt buckle. He ate meat and eggs and potatoes, and he was so skinny. My grandpa drove a red truck. But I don't ever remember riding in the truck with him. I don't remember him going many places. I just remember his truck parked there in the driveway. You can't see it, but in front of the truck is a small garage, which was always full of tools and who-knows-what. I think that's where Granda parked his wheelbarrow.
My grandparents died in the 90s, and their house has been bulldozed. A little community of townhomes now sits where their house used to be. It's close to the commercial area of town, but I remember walking up the block to see a pasture of lambs when I visited them as a child.
If I had a time machine, I'd like to spend another day at my grandparents' house. Or at least travel back (or forward) to summer!
8 comments:
Love the picture. Love the truck. Love the memories. Awesome post, Rebecca.
This was a nice post. It made me feel warm an fuzzy all over and closer to home.
-Me
Mom is such a beauty, isn't she!!!
Love the memories, thanks for sharing. Mine are much more vague...:(
No wonder your mother loves you so! You bring and have brought joy to her from your beginning!
I just loved reading this post! I too love a front porch swing. There is just something magical, when you sit swaying back and forth on a cool evening, talking and watching the kids play.
I love memories of visiting that house when we were young. Some of mine include a cousins' Easter Egg hunt with gigantic eggs filled with full-size Reeses PB Cups and other serious candy. I think they must have used the eggs from L'eggs pantyhose, they were that big. I remember Grandma always calling this person or that person a "boob" so while that word is a little irreverent for most people, to me it always makes me smile and think of her. I remember her telling me a story about the temple, and in her later years, she always asked me if I had "met someone special yet?" before saying goodbye and locking the door to her condo. "Getting old is the pits," she said more than once. I hated that she was lonely. I always admired Aunt Diana and how much time she spent with Grandma and helping Grandma. I remember Aunt Diana escorting me in to see Grandma after she had died. And I was happy for her that hopefully she didn't need to long for good company to laugh with any more. When you find that time machine, I'd love to come along.
So teach me to post something without previewing it. As I was re-reading your post (I loved it that much) I realized the commas in my comment are ill placed and not necessary. I guess it's a good thing Gerberta doesn't read this. Oh wait, she is a BFF. I guess she can correct for me.
Kara,
That's funny that you worried about your commas, but I can relate! :)
Post a Comment