Friday, November 27, 2009

Deal or No Deal?

I used to love Black Friday like I used to love Christmas morning. So thrilling!

Then, two years ago, I was at a department store at 6:30 in the morning, trying on maternity clothes. I looked in the dressing stall mirror and asked myself, "What am I doing here?!" And then when I waited in the check out line for over an hour, surrounded by grumpy, loud people, I promised myself that I never needed to do that again.

Last year, I was at my mom's house. It's kind of fun to go shopping with my mom, and we both love a good bargain. We went early in the morning to a few stores, and I loaded up on socks for my family, plus a couple of DVDs. The deals weren't screaming, but my mom and I were smiling and relaxed. It wasn't bad.

But the better shopping was the previous night, online. Sitting in my pajamas at the computer, browsing and clicking, not having to stalk other shoppers to take over their shopping carts, or stand in line for unreasonable amounts of time while my arms throb under the weight of my purchases? Free shipping? Sleeping in, content with my bargains? Yes, please.

But last night I found that I wasn't the only one who has caught on to the new thrill of Black Friday - Home Edition.

Let me just say that, as irritating as early morning department store crowds can be, at least when I went to the stores I never got to the register to check out, only to watch the goodies in my shopping cart vanish in to thin air. Can you imagine?! Finding the things you want, handing your basket to the clerk, and having him (or her) look into your basket and say, "I'm sorry, ma'am, your basket seems to be empty."

On the bright side: In my frustrated state, I only had to walk a few steps to my warm cozy bed and go to sleep for the night, rather than face the bitter cold darkness outside and drive home in the crazy midnight traffic.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you...one of my messages on line shopping was "in stock" and then the next page "the quantity you selected is not available" I had only selected one - I can't have a quantity of zero! I did get one thing on line and a great night sleep! -Kaelyn

Andrea said...

I don't know what it is about Black Friday but I love it. I think it's so fun to look through the ads and see what is a good deal. I didn't do any shopping today, though. Jonas was up a lot of the night with the croup (sp?). I took him to Insta Care this morning and he's doing a lot better. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving!

Amy said...

I love your writing. I'm scared of technology, so my sis and I went to walmart for the doorbusters this morning. Yikes! But we did get a few good things. I'm sorry to hear your sister moved. It sounds like you two were really close.

Suzanne said...

I love online shopping even though I feel guilty sometimes because it is so easy.

Gerb said...

I still look back in fond remembrance of our Black Friday shopping spree together a few years back. I think it's more about the company than the deals. Maybe next year we can have a sleepover and cyber-shop on our laptops together?

Darla Davies said...

I was complimented to read that you shared my happy feelings about enjoying shopping with you a year ago. I love to watch you in "bargain shopping action".