Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Back in Time

Doug came back from his business trip just in time for me to leave.

Most of my four day excursion was spent driving. The route was familiar. My sister Jennifer, who had joined us as a fellow Northwesterner two years ago, was moving back to Utah. When she broke the news of her move to me a couple of weeks ago, I cried with her. It's hard to move; even to move back to Utah. One year ago, I was in her shoes. I told her, "It will be hard. But it will be good."

I also said, "I want to come help you move!"

I wasn't sure what to expect on this road trip with my sisters and parents. What I learned was that it's pretty fun to be the "kid" on road trips. Chatting, teasing, relaxing, snacking, watching movies, singing along with satellite radio elevator music. Giggling in dark hotel rooms in the middle of the night with my sisters. Fun.

I felt very nostalgic, being back in that place from where my tender roots were yanked so recently. One year didn't seem long ago.

It was very gray and very rainy there. I remembered how tiresome that atmosphere got.

It was also beautiful, and familiar, and it felt good to be back there.

The drive back home--to where my home is now--felt long.

But I got back just in time. Today was Hannah's first true birthday party.

No comments: