Tuesday, September 2, 2008

My Grandpa passed away last Wednesday. You might remember him from this post I wrote last year. I'm so glad I was able to visit him last month and treasure what I knew were probably my last shared experiences with him. He wasn't saying a whole lot during our visit, but my last favorite memory will be sitting next to him during Sacrament Meeting, sharing a hymn book with him, and his compliment to me: "Great voice!" Coming from him, I take that as a true compliment.

You can read his obituary here. He was an amazing man.It's sad that he won't be greeting us when we visit Utah in the future. But I had a sweet experience last weekend that I'm trying to keep in mind.

It was a beautiful, blue-sky Saturday morning, and I was outside playing with my children. Out of nowhere came a small (but noisy) plane flying above us, doing barrel rolls and loop-de-loops and all kinds of tricks, making us all stop and stare. It made me think of my Grandpa, and stories I've heard of his daring stunts as a pilot in his twenties. Knowing him as I did when I was a kid, I had no trouble picturing or believing those stories about him! While I knew that Grandpa's body was failing now, and was about to die, I also saw so clearly the joy and freedom that he was about to experience, in spirit. It made me smile, and almost chuckle, I felt so happy for him, so lucky to be his posterity, and so glad for who he is and will continue to be.

I'm so glad to know that life doesn't end with death, and I'll look forward to our next visit! :)

5 comments:

Darla Davies said...

I'm shedding tears right now, but I'm celebrating a great man, father, grandfather, and great-grandfather with you! I'm so grateful that you had enough time to spend with grandpa throughout your life that you can truly appreciate the wonderful man that he was and is. Thanks for capturing in words some special thoughts and moments!

My love, Mom

Clark and Liesel said...

I am sorry to hear of your loss. But thank goodness for the knowledge we have in the Gospel that you will be able to be with him again. I don't know how people survive without that knowledge. We are very lucky.

habecker havoc said...

Rebecca,
What a nice tribute to your grandfather. I am so glad that I got to talk to you the other night. I could so relate to the feelings that you were having. It is just great to know that we will all be togther after this life. I am so grateful for that knowledge. give your family my best this weekend and I will be thinking of you!
Love Erika

Suzanne said...

What a beautiful tribute. Even though I only met him a few times, I knew that he was a remarkable and talented person. What a great posterity he has also. He really had the very best mortal experience there is.
Love you.

Aleesha Burke said...

I am sorry to hear but like you said you now have to cherish the memories you have and remember that he is experiencing such joy. Thanks for your comments on my blog. I hope you and your family are doing well and you will have to let me know if you and Staci are still planning on Women's conference.