Sunday, January 6, 2008

Saying Goodbye

I don't know what that Auld Lange Syne songs means exactly, but doesn't it have something to do with remembering what you have lost during the past year? For the sake of this post, let's pretend that's what it means.



We experienced a few farewells worth mentioning during 2007:




  • Great-Grandma Lizzie, who could put a smile on our faces with her stories, swingin' hips, and foot rubs (maybe that was just a special treat for me!)

  • Liberty, our longest-lasting pet ever

  • Our faithful old Contour with the purple tinted windows

  • Binky-Bunny (Hannah gave up her bedtime buddies to Santa on Christmas Eve, and hasn't even looked back. I, on the other hand, cried over this loss--no kidding!--and after burying my face in Bunny and taking one last long sniff, I stashed Bunny in Hannah's memory box.)

  • Nursery. Hannah is now a Sunbeam. Yesterday there was a lunch for all the Primary kids, and for the first time ever (and only time it will ever happen), all of our children attended the activity.

  • Finally, today I said goodbye to the Beehives and other YW I have worked with over the past 2+ years. I squeezed a lot into that time, though: Dance Festival, Girls Camp, Trek, plus all the weekly activities and lessons.

Don't be sad for too long, though. Think about saying Hello, rather than Goodbye. We'll be saying hello to someone new in just a few months, and she'll need a name. This is a very important decision to make, and I know you all have opinions. So, I'm adding a new feature to my blog: The Weekly Name. This is your chance to voice your opinion on the name we'll give our new baby girl. Speak now, or forever hold your peace. These names will change weekly, and they'll all be names we have been or are considering, but some will be more seriously considered than others. I'm not sure how else to start, so for this week, I'll start at the beginning of the alphabet, with an A name.

8 comments:

Jamie said...

Hi Rebecca! I would have to highly recommend Abby! I think there are so many great girl names, boy names are hard! Good luck. Can't wait to hear about her arrival.

Anonymous said...

The Hannah's Manners thing is SOOO cute. I'll vote often on your name question. Thanks for your wonderfully entertaining blog!
-Kaelyn

Anonymous said...

I love Hannah's manners. Your girls are becoming well known to my friends and family because I have to share the silly stories with everyone. -Sara

Gerb said...

Congrats to Hannah on her goodbyes!

I also said goodbye to YW, but hello to Nursery. You're talking to the new Nursery Coordinator, and I am so excited! Herbie is jealous, though. He wasn't too thrilled to leave nursery - in fact, they tell me he sobbed all through his first day of Primary. As his mom, that makes me so sad!

If you need any name ideas for any letter of the alphabet, boy do I have them for you!

Suzanne said...

We have the name "Mattie" on both sides of our family. Kind of old-fashioned, but cute.
Thanks for letting us vote, it's fun!

Anonymous said...

Ha! What a sneaky trick to make me reveal all my favorite girl names to you! (Jen's "sucker!" comes to mind.) Alas, there do happen to be a few very fine names that are quite nice but go badly with Ottley. I'm happy to recommend these. Isabella (or Bella for short), Ella, Jane (goes well but already taken by a cousin), Jesse (I love this for a girl's name... unfortunately, it also happens to be the name of Rich's best friend in high school who was a boy, not a girl). That's all for now! -Jill

simplysarah said...

I gave Abby "love it," because I do like it, even though I don't really love it...any name I don't love, but like, I don't mind for any of my siblings to use for their own children.

But really, Abby Larson sounds very cute.

I LOVE THAT YOU CRIED WHEN YOU PUT AWAY BINKY BUNNY!!! WE ARE SOOOOO SISTERS!!! Which reminds me of one of Gerberta's recent posts. She's lucky she can blame being emotional on pregnancy hormones. For us Davies women it's just everyday life...

Aleesha Burke said...

What happened to Bidia! JK. I tried calling you and Hannah hung up on me so I gave up. Have fun on your cruise .