Sunday, January 13, 2008

To Guide Us in These Latter Days

We had our stake conference this weekend. Elder Richard G. Scott attended and spoke to us. To me, the most meaningful lesson he taught was this:

1. Take a piece of paper and (with your spouse, if you have one) write down a list of things you feel are essential for you to accomplish during this life. *It won't be a long list.
2. Take another piece of paper and write down how you spent your "discretionary time" during the past year.
3. Compare the two papers.
If you spent a good amount of your discretionary time doing things that will help you accomplish the things on your List #1, then you are on the right track. If you spent very little of your free time working towards those goals, then you have unconsciously fallen off the path that will lead you to where you want to be, and you have become a victim of the adversary. One of his most effective tools, which he uses often against those who are trying to be good, is distraction. What you should do, then, is choose to eliminate some good things in your life, in order to do that which is essential.

It reminds me of Elder Oaks' talk from the last General Conference session.

Good stuff to ponder.

P.S. We left our house 1 hour before the conference began, and still, when we arrived, the parking lot was full (we had to park at an elementary school a few blocks away--thankfully it was not raining or snowing today) and we sat near the back of the cultural hall. Note to self: If you want a padded seat and a parking spot within walking distance without breaking a sweat in your church dress and heels, camp outside the building on Saturday night.

9 comments:

Clark and Liesel said...

Wow. Thank you for sharing! This is some great advice and counsel. That is so great you got to have Richard G. Scott!

habecker havoc said...

what happened to your B name? This name thing is turning out to be a lot harder than I thought. What do you think of the name Flora? Just wondering?

Anonymous said...

Great "food for thought"! Sheena did a great job on her talk today (She talked about the initial disappointment with not needing to learn a language when she received her mission call but then how she figured out that she needed to learn the "language of the Spirit" --- through repentance, prayer, and gratitude.). The 2 youth speakers and the HC speaker were all very good, too. I couldn't stay for the gathering at the James' home because I needed to get back to attend a ward conference in our stake. But I did see Clara for the first time and took a few pictures of some of the g-grandchildren in attendance. You can see them on my "blog site". Thanks for your consistency in writing and in keeping in touch! Looking forward to seeing you soon!! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

A comment on the name (I always want to make a comment --- not to just vote). It's a great family name (Grandpa James' mother is Anna Elizabeth --- but was generally called Bessie and her mother was Anna Elizabeth Vanzuylen). Grandma James' father's mother (Grandpa Bowen's mother) is Eliza Elizabeth Craner.
Perhaps because I always liked the book "Little Women", I've always liked the name Beth. I seriously thought about naming a daughter Beth at sometime in my life (can't remember if it was only before marriage or after, too).
So there is my comment for this week. Lots of love, Mom

simplysarah said...

Wait, did I miss B, C, D, and E??? It can't have been 5 weeks since I last voted.

Also, I think you should post the results of old polls.

I do like Elizabeth Larson as a full name, and it has some great nicknames, but I think you're right -- it seems a bit long.

Gerb said...

Loved the advice from Elder Scott, thanks for sharing! We also had stake conference and Elder Holland came w/ Elder Stone of the 70. Our Stake Presidency was reorganized as well. We arrived at the Saturday evening adult session 30 min. early and had to sit on the hard folding chairs in the cultural hall. So we showed up an hour early on Sunday and got great seats at the Tabernacle.

Drawback: An extra hour of sitting for the kids.

Anonymous said...

How about Eliza or Liza for another nickname choice?
-Kaelyn

Clark and Liesel said...

Personally I like "Lizzy babes" as a nickname for Elizabeth. It has a ring to it, don't you think?! ;)

Rebecca said...

Hey there Rebecca! This is the first time I've checked out your blog... Congrats on girl #5! Although I am bummed that we won't have identical families!! Cohen has grown up so fast: he's 10 months old! He still has his bright red hair and is round and chubby just like all my babies.
I LOVE that talk by Elder Oaks...that was one that I downloaded off the internet and re-read before the Ensign even came out.
Tell Doug hello from us and we hope you are doing well. I am glad to hear that the baby is healthy...soooooo many of my friends have had sad, sad things happen lately. An old college roommate carried a Trisomy 18 baby full term, only to have her stillborn. And a friend in my ward is carrying a baby with very little chance of survival. It honestly makes me scared to have another baby. But that is probably the wrong attitude to have!
Have people been asking if you are going to "try again" for a boy?? (As if the only reason you got pregnant in the first place was to produce a son!) That used to always bug me. I always said, Nope, we just wanted another baby!

Sorry for the super long post...but as for names, I'll tell you my very favorite right now (that I could NEVER use)---Emory. I think it is the most adorable and cool name, but with Camry and Avery already, I would never use it even if I did have another girl!
Good luck!