Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Confessions of a Sun Worshipper

I adore the sun. I love the sun. I do not worship the sun by frying my skin to an unnatural shade of brown, but I do worship the sun by soaking it in and becoming very, very happy when it shines on me. I miss the sun almost as much as I miss my friends and family in Utah. It is one of the top 3 reasons I MUST return to Utah every so often. It just so happens that most of my family, many friends, and that glorious glowing ball of heat all coexist in that happy place.

So, I just got back from 2 weeks of enjoying those things. And I have to say it was hard to come back home. I did miss Doug while he was here alone, working while we girls played; and I did wonder from time to time if I was missing out on anything here at home during those two weeks of vacation. But I'm pretty sure that Doug was the only thing I was missing here. (Well, ok, I do enjoy the pretty green landscape of this place. But it comes at a pretty steep price, in my opinion.)

After living here for three-and-a-half years now, I keep waiting for that feeling of being so attached to my home that I wouldn't want to leave it. It happened in Utah. I never would have thought that I would continue to live in Utah (Provo, nonetheless) after graduating from BYU. And I never would have predicted that we would buy a house and start raising our family in that place. But after a few years, I started to really like it there, and when it came time for us to leave Provo and enter "the real world", I cried. I was sad to leave.

I have a desire to be attached to this place, because a)Doug loves his job here, b) my kids know this as their home and are happy here, for the most part, and c) it has all the features of a place we imagine we would want for our permanent home, and we do want to find a place to establish some roots. I'd like to think I could be perfectly content for those reasons alone. But without my friend, The Sun, just that one little factor....I'm having a hard time.

This summer has been a disappointing one. Mother Nature has really let me down. Does that mean it is going to be an unusually pleasant winter? I still have a smidgeon of hope....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more, Rebecca, things are always a little better with the warm sun shining!
-Kaelyn

Gerb said...

When it comes to friends, YOU are my sunshine. Wherever Rebecca is, it's always sunny.

Figuratively.

I have the attachment feeling, too, but if we had to move to Seattle for some reason, it would be OK just knowing you guys, our friends, are there.

Amen.

Anonymous said...

Guess you are just too much like your mother! :) But I do appreciate and admire and encourage you to continue to work at "blooming where you are planted" (and, especially, where your husband is planted)!! Love, Mom