When I was a kid, something I always loved about my birthdays was that I didn't have to do any chores.
At that time, "chores" included
1. making my bed
2.perhaps setting the table for dinner.
Can you imagine how unburdened I felt when I got out of doing those things once a year?!
As a mom of young children, No Chores days are few and far between. I mean, there are many days when I don't make my bed. (Sorry, Mom. I'm the failure, not you. You did the best anybody could.) But chores such as picking up clutter (over and over) and doing dishes just have to be done, no matter the special occasion. Actually, on some special occasions, there are more chores than usual!
So today, the best part of my birthday has been getting out of doing chores.
Whenever my kids asked me what I want for my birthday, I told them I'd like "a slave." Hannah hesitated. "I don't know what all the jobs are. Could you make me a list?" I told her I'd be happy to do that for her.
In the end, she drew a picture for me. I'll take her willingness as a gift, anyhow.
Doug made breakfast and packed the girls' lunches before he went to work.
Katelyn came home from school and started picking up clutter.
Everyone seems to be pitching in, and while I can't say that I haven't had to lift a finger, I definitely feel loved.
And to top it all off, my washing machine broke down! Happy birthday to me! No laundry today!
It's the best.
3 comments:
I thought about you several times today. I am so glad you were born and that you are a part of the Larson bunch! You are a great example to me. I am glad your family (and laundry machine :) were so good to you today! Happy birthday!
Happy Birthday!! and I think it's time for another lunch date soon!
Glad you didn't have to lift to many fingers:)
Now when you are exhausted from housework you can think about relaxing in the Hawaiian sun.
Post a Comment