Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Another reason I'm ready for summer...

No homework.

Most of my kids (Lauren is the exception) dread doing homework. It is becoming a problem. I thought that by 7th and 5th grade, kids would be able to get their homework done independently, without me hovering over them. Not so.

This issue is big enough to be a matter of prayer. This morning, Doug prayed that our girls would be motivated to get their work done, and "put off procrastination." And then we both busted out laughing, because that was an oxymoron!

When I was in school, I would have given myself an ulcer from anxiety if I wasn't prepared to turn in my homework when it was due. Somewhere (in a box) I still have the printout I got at the testing center when I got a D on an exam in college. Doug witnessed the utter shock I went into when I got that score, and he wrote some notes on the back about what he observed. Someting like, "Rebecca is lying on the floor in a fetal position, moaning phrases like I can't believe I did this!" And then he filed it away so we can laugh about it now.

I'm not laughing about my kids' lack of concern about their grades, though.

I'm just counting down the days til summer when they can do housework (while I have to hover over them), rather than homework.

1 comment:

Gerb said...

I will express a hearty AMEN! to that sentiment. I spent the hours from 3:30 until 8:30 pestering kids to finish homework and practice piano. Blech!