Monday, March 16, 2009

Morning Person?

Doug is definitely a morning person. He has been since I met him, and probably has always been. He wakes up early, and gets moving quickly. (And he is certainly not a night owl, although sometimes I wish he would be.)

I've never claimed to be a morning person. I love to sleep as long as possible, and when I do get out of bed, I tend to stay in my pajamas for quite a while before getting ready for the day.

Last night as I was laying in bed, wishing I could go to sleep, and watching the clock approach 1 a.m., I was thinking about this.

No wonder I'm not a morning person. I hardly ever fall asleep early, so naturally, I can't wake up early.

Morning came, and I realized I had slept hard...eventually. And now, even though it was almost 8 a.m., I still had a hard time convincing my eyes to open and my body to move.

But within 30 minutes, I was scurrying around the house, getting girls ready for the day, and out the door to school, and...this is key...singing as I went. Hmm. Last night while I was laying in bed trying unsuccessfully to get to sleep, or giving that up and staring at the computer screen...I was not singing. I was tired and frustrated and my mind was unsettled. So, even though I can stay up late, I wouldn't necessarily say that's my favorite time of the day. Which leads me to a new opinion of myself.

You know, it's not that I'm not a "morning person". It's just that I'm not good at waking up.
But once I get through that process, whether it's 5:30 a.m. or 8:00 a.m. (or later), I'm usually pretty chipper. And if I take it slow in the morning, it's not necessarily because I'm tired or dragging. It's just that I'm relaxed and enjoying the morning routine.

Doug will probably disagree, but I'm thinking...
Maybe I am a morning person.

2 comments:

simplysarah said...

I would say the same thing about me. Morning is definitely my happiest time, even if the waking up part is often a battle!

Anonymous said...

maybe sometimes. definately not ALL the time though. ;)