Tuesday, December 9, 2008

What am I thinking!?

I keep find myself asking that question. Like last night, for example. We had to have Family Home Evening, moving week or not, and we have got to have just a little bit of Christmas around here, so the girls and I got busy making beaded angels. What was I thinking, starting a project like that? And then I spent hours sitting in a chair in my kitchen while Jennifer colored my hair, and wondered how I could possibly get everything done today before the moving company invades the house tomorrow. And what was I thinking when I told Doug that I could handle all this moving stuff while he's working at his new job, and we only see him on the weekends?!

And sometimes I ask myself what was I thinking when I decided that it would be less stressful to have the moving company pack my stuff than to box it all up myself? It may be less physical exertion, but it's not less stress. That's my conclusion. Because I still feel the need to organize and purge every corner before they do the packing. And then I still won't know exactly which box holds whatever I'm looking for when we move in to the new house.

And now, what was I thinking starting this post, while out of the corner of my eye watching two little girls in the tub who now need to get out and I can't finish what I started here.

But let me just tell you this: I really strongly dislike four-legged furry things that want to share my living space. And this time, it's not a racoon in the back yard space. It's a rodent-type thing in the attic space. I'm not kidding.

Two nights ago, Lauren called me into her bedroom a few minutes after I had said goodnight, and whispered to me, "My bed is making noises." It wasn't her bed, but she does sleep on the top bunk, which is very close to the ceiling where a mouse (or whatever) was making it's scratchy noises. I HATE that sound. A lot.

This was Lauren's prayer at breakfast:

"...I don't want the mouse to die, but please make it go away and not come back, so that I can go to sleep at night, because Emily just ignores it, but I don't know how to do that."

And I told her I'm praying for the same thing. Not because I think it would be sad, like she does, if the mouse died, but because I think I might lose it if I have to remove it (dead or alive) myself.

And I don't need one more reason to "lose it". I have plenty of others!

6 comments:

Darla Davies said...

How I wish I could be there to give you some help. I'm not sure what I'd do, but I have "walked that path" a few times! As I write, I'm listening to your Jim Brickman recording of "Away In A Manger". Play some of that beautiful music when you're stressed and think that I'm thinking about you and praying for you!

Anonymous said...

You are a good mom to have FHE AND do a craft! I'm not a good one to ask about stress, but it will all get done somehow. I can at least help you when you get here.
-Kaelyn

Anonymous said...

While I was reading this I was reminded of a comment you made when pregnant with Lauren and it was close to the holidays. You basically said that it seems like every year something happens so you can't just sit and enjoy the holiday season. I guess this is true again this year. At least it makes it easier to remember the different Christmas- by what happened. Will you be out here for Christmas? If yes, may you look forward to Christmas with family. Kara

Clark and Liesel said...

You can do it!! You are an amazing woman and mother. I don't know how you do all the things you do- you really are amazing! I look up to you a lot. Wish we could be of more help. And good luck with the mouse- eek. That is not fun at all. I need an address where I can send you a Christmas card. Where should I sent it?

erikahaw said...

I don't need to tell you that I think you are amazing and talented and beautiful and a great mother and I could go on and on. But I like to think I pick the best, which you are. BUT WHAT ARE YOU THINKING????????
Thinking of you.
E

Laura Hyde said...

What a woman/mother/wife! I'm reading your post late, so I'm guessing you made it through...it will all be worth it when your family is all back together again. :) right?