
I'm not totally sure what a "Soccer Mom" is. I do take my kids to practices and lessons, in a mini-van. Just about every afternoon, I'm rushing to get a child somewhere or rushing to pick another child up from something, or, I'm just sitting in the hallway or the parking lot, or the cold field, waiting for them to be done. Is it more than that? If what I'm doing is being a soccer mom, then I don't really enjoy it. I do enjoy watching Emily's soccer practices and games, don't get me wrong. I just don't like the rush to get everyone home from school, throw a snack at them, make sure they've used the bathroom (because public toilets are usually gross and never conveniently located, and my kids always seem to need to use them at the worst times), make sure they have all their gear, make sure all the siblings have what they need, pray that Olivia doesn't need to eat or have her diaper changed right at the time when I need to be driving somewhere....and then rush home to try to pull together dinner in about 5 minutes or less, so that we can be working on homework or off to the next activity... And only three of my kids are in only one activity each!
I prefer being a "Couch Mom". If you don't know, I'll tell you what that is. It's a mom who loves to sit at home, snuggled up on the couch with a kid or two and a snack and some books, with no clock in sight and no worries about that. (Plus, sometimes, she gets off the couch to make some more yummy snacks, and sometimes she lets the kids help with that, too.) This is how Hannah and I spent some time this afternoon. While we ate our popcorn* out of a big shared bowl, this is how our conversation went:
Me: Hannah, I have a question. When you grow up, are you going to remember this?
H: Yep.
Me: You'll remember eating popcorn and being silly with Mommy?
H: Yep.
Me: Good.... But will you remember that I was mean sometimes?
H: No. Cause we don't want to remember mean stuff.
Me: Yeah, we don't like to remember that.
H: And we don't like to remember bad shows on t.v.
Me: Have you seen bad shows on t.v.?
H: (nods her head yes)
Me: What?
H: "Stardust"
Me: Oh. (Comforting thought to self: Well, that was Daddy.)
*If you want to have a good time like this, it helps to have the right kind of popcorn: PopSecret Homestyle. It's the best!
6 comments:
Yesterday Jonah and I made chocolate chip cookies. I made Rich come take a picture so that Jonah has some proof that there were (rare) times when I did things like that with just him! I actually prefer to be a soccer mom, I think - or a park mom, rather. I love taking the kids to the park. By the way, Ashton loves reading your Hannah column and so do I!
Great post. You have addressed so well the fundamental problem with the world. All the good people (there are so many more good than bad) are busy doing little more than racing the clock and wearing themselves out while the bad run a muck.
I think good people need to slow down.
You are such a great mom Rebecca. I admire you and look up to you and all the great things you do with your family. I feel like life is moving faster and faster without my permission of course. :) So, I am glad that you are able to take time and enjoy the little moments. The popcorn story with Hannah was so precious. Clark and I had popcorn last night- I had been craving it all day. I actually prefer the kettlecorn kind! Mmmmmm
It's a crazy time, isn't it?! But be assured that you are making precious memories (especially when you take the time to have sweet conversations with your wonderful daughters)! I love you and pray for you each day in your most important "job".
Love, Mom D.
That sounds like a conversation I would have with my BFF. Since neither of us have kids, it has to suffice.
Anyway, but the only difference is that instead of popcorn, we'd probably be eating edamame and drinking diet soda.....hmmmmm.....
OK,
First of all, the Hannah-isms column is simply the BEST! ...always good for a heathly out loud laugh.
How i wish i'd continually written blibs through early phases of a few of mine that often had us in stiches... another blessing of the blogging era.
And second- regarding the wacky busy run around from activity to activity phase... only 4 more years until you can split those errands with Kate, so cut back even further 'til then!! (I know, "easier said than done"... unless you're Koki)
Post a Comment