Saturday, June 23, 2007

My New Favorite Cookie

If Grandma James had ever discovered this cookie recipe, I'm sure she would have perfected it long ago, and it would have been my old favorite cookie. These are DEE-licious!

PB&C COOKIE SANDWICHES
(I think they need to be renamed--that sounds boring)
Published in some magazine--contributed by Melissa McKay from Washington, D.C.

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 11-oz. pkg. peanut butter and milk chocolate pieces
1/2 cup purchased chocolate frosting
1/2 cup peanut butter
1. In large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, soda, and salt. Beat until combined. Add egg and vanilla. Beat until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour and the cocoa powder. Stir in peanut butter and milk chocolate pieces. Cover and chill dough for 2 to 3 hours or until easy to handle.
2. Preheat oven to 375. Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheets. Flatten cookies slightly with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until tops are cracked and look dry. Let cool on cookie sheets for 1 minute. Remove and cool completely on wire racks.
3. In a small bowl stir together frosting and peanut butter. Spread a scant 2 teaspoons frosting mixture on the bottoms of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies, bottom sides together. Store sandwich cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to 24 hours or freeze in freezer container up to 3 months. Makes 24 sandwich cookies.

1 comment:

Gerb said...

I can't wait to try these! If you lived closer, I could just come over and raid your pantry...I guess there are some benefits (for you, anyway) of living far, far away in the land of often gray. (I just made that up! MAN, am I clever!)