In the past few weeks, I've received a rash (sounds bad, but I don't mean it that way...can a "rash" be pleasant?) of e-mails from my cousins, all close to me in age, announcing one engagement and three pregnancies. This is great news, and I've been waiting for this flood to come for quite a while. Twelve years, to be precise. It has been twelve years since I was engaged and about to be married. And it has been eleven years since I announced my first pregnancy. It was so long ago (you're not going to believe this) that I didn't even have an e-mail account at that time, so guess what I had to do....I had to pick up my phone, dial seven or ten numbers at a time, and actually use my voice to say the same thing over and over to each friend and relative that I called. (*gasp*) I'm being obnoxious about this, but honestly, I'm not perturbed that I didn't get a phone call from any of these cousins or anyone else in the grapevine (including my own mother). In fact, I think it's great that they have the ability to send mass e-mail announcements, because otherwise I would probably still be in the dark about those upcoming events.
I just think it's amazing that this technology exists.
I don't have any announcements worthy of a mass e-mail to make. And yet, every week I broadcast reports about mundane life. If it takes a major life event, like a wedding or a birth, to inspire my loved ones to send me a quick message, maybe the message between the lines is, "Quit filling up my inbox with your yapping about diapers and dates and the weather. Save it for the good stuff."
So I've been exploring this new format for my yapping: a Blog. Maybe this is the perfect solution for me. I can write as much and make it as boring to anyone else as I might want, and no one else will be compelled to read it all, skim over its contents, or even just send it to their electronic trash can. Those who do like all the nitty gritty details (maybe my mom?) can read and re-read as often as they choose. This sounds brilliant.
Too bad I'm still not much more proficient with this technology than I was ten years ago when I first started using e-mail.
4 comments:
Hey sister,
Welcome to the club! I'm excited for your publicly-posted ramblings. I think they're quite witty.
Great picture! I miss you a lot. Whatever works for you. I love to read whatever you writer.
LOVE IT!!! I am very excited to have a Rebecca blog to read everyday. It will be like we're chatting all the time, minus the phone time! You read mine, I read yours, everyone's happy.
OK I'm already having difficulty with this part of technology. I had to write my last comment twice. I wrote one here but couldn't get it submitted. HELP!!
Anyway, I love reading your writings (email, blogging, etc.)! I'll keep trying to figure out all this technology but it's aging me!!
Love, Mom/Grandma
Post a Comment