Monday, December 20, 2010

What I learned about Whos

Music is quite possibly the most important part of Christmas.  And the Whos knew it.

The Grinch can steal every part of Christmas except the Whos' voices.  It's not just that they had "hands to clasp."  It's that they still had music.  And their music is what touched the Grinch's heart and made it grow.

All my life, I must admit, I've been a bit skeptical about the Whos' undaunted spirits when they woke up to that Christmas crisis.  Maybe it's that fluffy "Dahoo Dores, Fahoo Fores" song in the film that made me overlook this important musical message in the Dr. Seuss classic.  I think they got that song all wrong.  Next time I read that story to my girls, I'm going to sing something a bit more "Christmasy". 

But last night, after I had finished singing with our inter-faith choir in the annual Christmas Celebration--songs like Breath of Heaven and Ding Dong Merrily on High and Carol of the Magi-- while my heart was swelling with the joy of that celebration, and with deep gratitude for the musical gifts I've been blessed with.... it hit me.

The Whos must have felt exactly how I was feeling at that moment, because of the music.

Silly, I know, but that's honestly what I thought just before the benediction of last night's program.

I love planning and shopping and partying and baking and eating and wrapping and everything else that goes along with Christmas time.  But I really love the music!

6 comments:

Amy said...

Love how you explain things. I totally hear ya!

Darla Davies said...

That's my girl! You make me so proud! Wish I could have heard your singing Sunday evening!

Darla Davies said...

I really, really want a copy of your blog entries (written since the last time you made a CD for me). I have heard that there is some site where they do that (I think Margaret Arnold mentioned it). Anyway, "I need, I need ... I want, I want"! It's just because I adore and admire your writing and the pictures you use!

Gerb said...

Music is the redeeming part of Christmas for me. It's my favorite, too - Dahoo Dores, Fahoo Fores! (it's Who-language for 'Christmas is what you make it'!)

Have a great holiday.

Clark and Liesel said...

I totally agree!

Cherie said...

...and i continue to agree with your Mommy - Your writing is wonderful!
I get yucky busy and forget to stop by and read, but whenever i do, I am amazed and delighted - not only because of how well you write, but also how often your topic relates to stuff I've thought or felt - either very recently, but had not yet articulated, or so long ago that I'd forgotten - and then remembering and relating is REFRESHING! (and often amusing :)...

Merry merry Christmas Lovely Larson's!! :)