Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Hannah's Birthday

Hannah was born on a Sunday, and I thought that was a nice day for a baby to be born.  When she turned six years old on a Sunday, I thought it was ideal as well: We had time for a nice family breakfast and birthday gifts in the morning.  All the primary kids sang to her and she got to wear a crown, on her birthday.  And since her only dinner request was simply "meat," I thought her Sunday birthday was the perfect occasion for a nice roast, with potatoes and gravy and hot rolls and all those Sunday fixings.

But when Hannah turned six on a Sunday, she didn't think it was the best day for celebrating her birth.  She loved her presents, and I think she got everything she asked for: a ZhuZhu Pet, Pixos, a Dolly&Me Dress set, and Bendaroos. 



But she said that morning, "I don't feel like I'm six. I still feel like I'm five."  And later that day, "I just don't feel like it's my birthday if I don't get to be with my friends."  (This was not a party year.)

So on Monday, after morning kindergarten, Hannah's three little friends and their mothers met us for lunch at Zupas.

And finally, Hannah was satisfied to be six.

3 comments:

Clark and Liesel said...

What a funny girl! I love that you write down the cute things your kids say! Happy birthday sweet Hannah!

Kara said...

Happy Birthday!

Lydia turns five on a Sunday. Her one request this year is a friends party. As she puts it, "I have never had one". I guess she won't feel unsatisfied like Hannah did.

Tane and Angela said...

our mothers must be sisters..we had that rule too about birthdays with families one year and birthdays with friends the next. she's so grown up.