Friday, November 25, 2011

Oh Christmas Tree

Months after Doug and I were married, I bought our first Christmas tree, on clearance the day after Christmas.  Artificial, of course, which is what I grew up with and was used to.  Several years later, when that tree was ready to be retired, and we had young children, we bought our first live Christmas tree.  It must not have been very exciting for me, because after that Christmas, we bought another artificial one.  This time, it was pre-lit!  What a great idea! 

But last year, only half our tree lit up, and so Fake Tree #2 was also retired. 

This year, Doug tells me that I promised we could try another live tree.  I don't really remember that conversation or that agreement, but I don't have a very strong preference at this point, so a live it is.

Traditionally, we decorate our Christmas Tree the weekend after Thanksgiving.  So this morning, it was time to find our tree.

I had just come home from a quick early morning Black Friday shopping trip, where I had purchased new boots for half the girls.  (I know most people are doing Christmas shopping on Black Friday, but some of us really needed some new footwear today, so I just couldn't wait.)

As it turns out, going to a Christmas Tree farm in new shoes is not such a good idea.  Lesson learned.

Obviously, Doug has done this before.  Only he was properly attired!
But despite the mud, we discovered the joy of picking out our very own, perfect Christmas tree!


It was lovely at the farm, but I'm loving it even more in my living room.  It fits perfectly, smells good, and just looks....well, real!

I can't wait to see it at night...

No comments: