Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Sliver of Summer

This is what summer feels like to me.  A teeny tiny little sliver of the year.  It feels so playful, but then I notice that the sun is setting, and the apples are growing on the trees already.  Summer brushes by in a blissful blink, and then it's gone.  If summer were one day, this is the time of day it would be right now...nearly dusk.  I am not ready.

The three younger girls had two weeks of swimming lessons.  I think Olivia became more fearful--or at least more stubborn--about putting her face in the water.  But Hannah really polished her skills and swims independently and confidently now.  She even jumps off the diving board at the community pool now.

We are supposed to have summer jobs--housework, school-type work, etc.  But I am such a sucker when it comes to enforcing that schedule.  I don't want to work away the lazy days of summer, inside my house, ignoring the sun.  It's not very mature of me, but I don't fight my instincts on this. 

Even our garden has been slothful, producing a squash every day or two, and a cucumber now and then.  I harvested our first two cherry tomatoes yesterday, on the first day of August, and I proceeded to wash them and pop them in my own mouth, one after the other.  I didn't even show them off to anyone else. 

Summer brings out the most selfish parts of me.  But it just doesn't feel like there's enough of it to go around.  

6 comments:

Gerb said...

Even I, a self-professed popsicle who melts in the heat of the sun, am going to miss these lazy summer days. Cute girls!!

Jen said...

Did you notice how that last picture of Hannah looks like she's been stretched out? She looks so long in that picture...it maybe made me giggle. So cute, though! Love these sweet girls. But, I have to say that I'm a sucker for Fall. Bring it on!

Rebecca said...

Jen, that's cuz it was my camera phone! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm not ready for it to end either. It always goes too fast!! -Kaelyn

Derek White said...

Yay for summer! It's important to enjoy it! Thanks so much for a fun time last night with you, Doug, my Lori and I on the boat!

Great pics and I love your easy, writing style.

Darla Davies said...

We are pretty much "joined at the hip"! I love summer and it slips by all too quickly! Confession: Lauren and I harvested 4 strawberries from your patch last evening. I popped both of mine into my mouth without even washing them! Then, when Lauren left her 2 unattended for too long (I think it was after she went to bed, but I can't be certain), I ate those, too!